D chord is a very simple and easy chord to play. As there is very little stretching involved to hold the notes required to play the D Major chord, it is one of the very few chord positions that a newbie guitarist masters.
Methods of playing D major chord open position
To play this chord you need to create a triangle shape on the using your Ring, middle, and index finger on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string. Based on the major chord structure, we will be using the 1st, 3rd and 5th note of the D major Scale which is D, F#, A to create this wonderfully soothing chord. Here is the step by step instructions on how to create the position the right way.
- Put your Ring finger on the 2nd fret of 1st string for the note F#.
- Put your middle finger on 3rd string 2nd fret to get the note A.
- Next put our middle finger on the 3rd fret of 2nd string to get the note D.
- If you watch the shape you will that your finger positions has created a triangular shape within 1st to 3rd
- No need to put any finger on 4th, 5th, 6th string as they will represent D, A and E note. You might be wondering about getting an extra E note on the 6th string which is not in your chord formula. Most guitarists do not bother about strumming the 6th string while playing the D Major chord to be honest. But it is always a good practice to play just the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, and 4th string(optional) while playing this chord to get the best possible sound.
- Once you are ready strum the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string to play D major chord on Guitar
Popular songs that starts with D major chord
There are tons of popular songs that requires the D major chord. In broad aspect they are in the Key of D major. If you are not sure how that works, check my other article on how to find chords of any song or the guideline on finding keys of any song to play on guitar.
Here are the list of few songs that involves D major chord.
- The Eagles: Hotel California
- U2: With or without you
- B King: Thrill is gone
- Ed Sheeran: Thinking out loud
- U2: Beautiful Day
- Imagine Dragon: RadioActive
Now that you know how great artists have added this chord in their songs to create some amazing musical masterpieces, it is time for you to inspired, turn on your metronome and play this chord for a while to master the shape.